Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Chapter 11

In chapter 11 of Allyn and Bacon titled Writing as a problem-solving process, I learned multiple new things about the writing process. First, to become an expert writer, you need to use multiple drafts. These multiple drafts allow you to concentrate on fixing one type of error at a time instead of trying to fix every mistake at once. It also allows the writer to clarify their purpose. It allows the author, to read the paper many times and making sure they stay focused on the topic at hand. Although the section on writing multiple drafts helped me, I found most interest in skill number three, titled ten expert habits. These different habits allow the writer to go from average to excellent in just a few simple steps. Habit number three was a key point to me. Scheduling your time is always a issue. Writers need to create a schedule instead of waiting till the last minute to cram everything together. By scheduling your time, it allows you to write multiple drafts and correct all mistakes. Also habit number five, was interesting to me. Habit number five was reducing expectations of early drafts. Many people today try to make their first draft perfect when it is nearly impossible. The first draft is considered a rough draft for a reason. It allows you to make multiple mistakes and correct them at a later time. Also from the ten habits, I learned to always correct on a double spaced copy to give yourself more room for critic. Also when correcting, give your paper to another classmate or someone outside that can review your paper. Let them read it and point out mistakes they see, while also making sure they completely understand the paper and don't get lost on certain details. This chapter really influenced me to take more time on writing papers and making sure I correct all my mistakes.

3 comments:

  1. You definitely summarized this whole chapter. It was a lot easier to read yours and understand everything, rather than reading word for word in A&B. I agree with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a very well thought out post. Very informative..well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Lindsay. You did a good job summarizing. I enjoy where you talked about rough drafts. That is all.:)

    ReplyDelete